This test measures the levels of functional activity of DiAmine Oxidase (DAO). DAO is the enzyme responsible for metabolising histamine from food in the intestine. Reduced activity of this enzyme produces an accumulation of histamine that can cause adverse effects such as intestinal and skin problems and migraines.
Which patients is it most useful for?
Some of the adverse effects that can be caused by DAO deficit are:
- Migraine, headache, hangover, dizziness.
- Hypotension, hypertension and arrhythmias.
- Urticaria, atopic skin, psoriasis.
- Nasal congestion, asthma.
- Irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, feeling of fullness, stomach pain, vomiting.
- Fibromyalgia, aching muscles.
- Bone pain.
- Sample: Serum
- Volume: 1 ml
- Storage of sample: 5+/-3oC
- Turnaround time: 9 working days
Identifying a lack of DAO helps improve patients’ quality of life.
Symptoms are improved by a diet low in histamine and any foods that favour its build-up in the body.